Treatment for sore throat and swollen tonsils with white patches?

Apr 2013

General Surgeon
My 14 year old son went to er this am for sore throat ,swollen tonsils,and white patches. However tonight it is worse and also has black spots. What is this
Posted Sat, 2 Mar 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 1 hour later

This is not something unusual. This is obviously that your son has developed abscess around tonsil - called as peritonsillar abscess (Complication of acute tonsillitis) - this will require drainage and intravenous antibiotics for few days.
In most cases, it is caused by Streptococcal infections and antibiotics can cure it. Usually antibiotics need 2 weeks to work.
Once this is treated and the pain is relieved he will require removal of tonsils - about 6 to 8 weeks after remission.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions, I will be happy to help.