Treatment for soft tissue injury in the groin

Orthopaedic Surgeon
My horse decided to lunge away from a horse new to the stables and I experienced a USD as I like to call them (Unscheduled Dismount), I ended up right arm extended beside my ear on firm, packed, recently rained upon, sand. I have had IT band issues for over 25 years. But the pain is in my hip/groin area. There was minor bruising. I have been attempting to "self diagnose" if it is possible to tear the IT band where it attaches to the hip/pelvis. Injury occurred 4 weeks ago. Pain is focused on that normal trigger point of pain when I am stretching IT band by sticking right hip out. What do ya'll think? I figured I would add more to my description. Basically, I landed on my right side totally laid out in a straight line from fingertips to ankle. Kind of like a traumatic IT stretch which is why I figure there may be trauma or a tear to the IT attachment in the hip area. Oh yeah, skin slightly numb is area but that is getting better.
Posted Mon, 17 Feb 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Could be IT tear. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for posting your query. The symptoms that you have described are likely to be due to a soft tissue injury in the area. Some tear of IT band fibers is possible. This needs a proper rest for full recovery. mild numbness in the area is the part of the injury and will improve with time. Exact diagnosis can be made only after proper examination by an orthopaedician. So I suggest you to consult one. 1. Do a war compress on the area of injury. 2. Avoid weight bearing on the foot. 3. Keep the leg elevated on two pillows while resting. 4. Get some mild pain killers prescribed from your doctor. I hope this answers your query. In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out. Wishing you good health. Regards. Dr. Praveen Tayal. For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL