Treatment for snoring and concentration problem?

Nov 2013

I have a problem of snoring since long time and this is affecting the quality of sleep. I sometimes tend to doze while driving and also have concentration problem which also affects memory. I would like to know what treatment is best for solving the problem.
Posted Fri, 22 Feb 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 8 minutes later

Thank you for posting your query.

You have symptoms of snoring and excessive day time sleepiness.

These are common in a condition called as obstructive sleep apnea (OSA).

In OSA, there is interference with normal breathing during sleep. This results in short duration apnea (cessation of breathing) and hypopnea (reduced breathing). This leads to frequent waking up during night time, causing tiredness.

Due to the night time sleep deficit, there is more sleepiness during daytime, interfering with normal daily activities.

OSA can be diagnosed by a test called as polysomnography (sleep studies).

Treatment requires use of CPAP machine during night to maintain adequate oxygen supply.

Please consult a sleep disorder specialist for evaluation and treatment.

Hope it helps. Please get back if you have any more queries.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist