Treatment for semi-liquid stools despite taking Mesacol?

I am 51. Diagnosed for ulcerative colitis in 1998. Since then maintaining on Mesacol. Recently surveyed again by colonoscopy. Diagnosis Pancolitis. Ileum involved. I am currently consuming 800 mg Mesacol 3 times a day. Stools too frequent. Loosing control in passing stools. Passing semiliquid stools for more than 10 years. Cannot release gases due to fear of defecation. I have been asked to continue with the medication and have a regular colonoscopy every 6 months. Another doc advised me to go for a surgery, as a preventive measure. Confused. Please advise.
Posted Sun, 16 Mar 2014 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 1 hour later
Brief Answer: I would suggest to wait and watch Detailed Answer: Hello sir and welcome. Thank you for writing to us. I am sorry to hear about the pancolitis, and can understand your predicament as I have also been diagnosed with UC and am currently on treatment since the past 2 years. As you must know, despite being on medication constantly, complete relief and health cannot be attained. There is always and will always be a risk of the colon having to be removed some time in our life. Pancolitis is a symptom of the UC and would not really be an indication for surgery, but taking into consideration the symptoms you are experiencing and also the extent of ulceration based on the colonoscopy report, surgery would be indicated. As of now, I would say there is a 50 % risk involved of developing more serious complications. Although UC has lesser complication chances than its counterpart Crohn's Disease, I would recommend you to wait and watch, both the symptoms as well as the next colonoscopy report. The purpose of regular colonoscopies would be to detect early signs of precancerous lesions or early colorectal carcinoma. Based on an extensive study the risk of developing cancer increases with the time with the condition. i.e. 3 % at 15 years, 5 % at 20 years and 9 % at 25 years. Thus currently you have only a 3 % chance of developing cancer or precancerous lesions. I would advise you to wait and keep a close watch on the intestine. I hope you find my response both helpful and informative. I would be more than happy to help you. Please feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications, I would be more than happy to help you. Best wishes.
Follow-up: Treatment for semi-liquid stools despite taking Mesacol? 17 hours later
I had my last colonoscopy done in May 2013. What should be the frequency of doing the colonoscopy ?
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Once every 6 months at least sir Detailed Answer: Hello once again sir. I think it is time for another colonoscopy. Once in 6 months should be a good enough gap sir. Hope this helps.