Treatment for sciatica while taking Xrialto?

Nov 2013

I have sciticia. Surgeon is reluctant to epidural because of use of xrialto, because of possible bleeding. What can be done? Pain is in knee and thigh. MRI shows two nurves in close proximity. Can xrialto amount be modified before epidural or is their any other suggestion?
Posted Sun, 2 Mar 2014 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 3 hours later
Brief Answer: My reply is below. Detailed Answer: Hi, Thank you for posting your query. Xarelto (rivaroxaban) is a blood thinner (anticoagulant) used for treating atrial fibrillation. Yes, there is a higher chance of bleeding, if epidural injection is given while you are on this medicine. One option is to take medications such as pregabalin or gabapentin capsules for relief of sciatica pain. If that does not help, then, epidural injection may be given with extreme care and close follow up to look for signs of bleeding. I hope my answer helps. Please get back if you have any follow up queries or if you require any additional information. Wishing you good health, Dr Sudhir Kumar MD (Internal Medicine), DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad, India Click on this link to ask me a DIRECT QUERY: My BLOG: