Treatment for red, swollen and painful nose?

Pediatrician
Question
I am male aged 68 and generally in good health. I occasionally get a painful area at one side or the other of the tip of my nose . It is slightly swollen and slightly red and painfull to touch. However it usually goes without treatment in a few days. Its not a boil or septic and I don't have any other skin problems.

This has been happening since I was about 20, maybe once a year or maybe not for a few years.

I think it usually occurs if I have been tired or a bit run down. I would guess this is not really serious but I would be grateful If you could suggest any treatment ?
Posted Tue, 7 May 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal 3 hours later

Thank you for your query.

Nostrils have a lot of sebaceous glands and it is not uncommon that one of them gets infected which causes the problem that you describe. As it happens only once a year you need not worry unduly about it. You can take an anti-inflammatory medicine at present.

Just ensure that you are not diabetic in which case you may need to take a course of antibiotic and anti-inflammatory.

I hope I have answered your query to your satisfaction. Please feel free to revert back in case you need any clarifications or would like to share more facts.

Wishing you all the best.

Rajiv K Khandelwal
http://goo.gl/SuCjl