Treatment for recurring scalp psoriasis

HI Doctor, i am suffering scalp psoriasis from past 4 years, i went dermatologist and used medicines (tar shampoo,salcilic solution and psora tablets)for 2-3 months regularly and its cured. again its started small patches on my head from 4 months. what should i do for this now? Thanks, XXXX
Posted Fri, 14 Feb 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Johny Chacko 34 minutes later
Brief Answer: psoriasis Detailed Answer: Hello, Welcome to healthcare magic. Scalp psoriasis is a chronic problem which can have remissions and relapses. With treatment, the lesions can completely disappear and can recur after weeks to months of stopping treatment. For the current episode, use a lotion containing 4.25% coal tar with 2% salicylic acid in a shampoo base to wash your hair. You need to keep the lotion in contact with the scalp for 15 minutes and then rinse off with water. Use a lotion containing 0.05% clobetasol propionate with 3% salicylic acid at bedtime everyday for 2 weeks. This will resolve the lesions. For maintainence ( to prevent recurrence), continue to use the shampoo alternate days for at least 3 months. You may still get one or two new patches. Use the bedtime lotion for 2-3 days as soon as you notice a new patch before it becomes bigger. Hope this helps you. If you have any further queries , I will be glad to assist. Take care.
Follow-up: Treatment for recurring scalp psoriasis 7 minutes later
thank you doctor but i am not getting these percentages(%), can you please give a clear medicine which i have to use? Is it Cantagious disese? 1) shall i use psora tablets for scalp psoriasis? 2) i have small white bump in my ear, for this what i have to apply? Thanks, XXXX
Answered by Dr. Johny Chacko 24 minutes later
Brief Answer: psoriasis Detailed Answer: Hello XXXX, I would not recommend you to take psora tablets. I think your problem is limited to the scalp and can be well managed with the lotions alone. As far as the lump in your ear is concerned, could you give me more details? 1. For how long have you had this lump? 2. Is it painful or painless? 3. Which part of the ear is the lump present? If possible, please attach a clear photograph so I can assess better. You have the option of uploading photographs. Regards, Dr. Johny Chacko
Follow-up: Treatment for recurring scalp psoriasis 25 hours later
Hi dr XXXXXXX I am attacing my ear and scalp photograps,pls suggest good medicine. 1. There is no pain in ear and hair. But iching is there at both places. 1. Is psoriasis is contagious dieseas? 2. When i rub at my chest,there some red color will appear some time but it will disappear after some time. Please advice good medicine which is available in india. Thanks, XXXX
Answered by Dr. Johny Chacko 13 hours later
Brief Answer: psoriasis Detailed Answer: Hello XXXX, 1. I have gone through your photographs. The lesion in your ear could be a part of psoriasis itself. You could use the same lotion at bedtime on that lesion as well. 2. You could try to get Ionax - T lotion ( Galderma company) which is a shampoo base. Use this in the morning as I have directed previously. At bedtime, you could use Topisal 3% lotion ( Systopic company). 3. No. Psoriasis is not a contagious disease. 4. The redness on your chest could be normal. As long as there is no itching or scaling , you do not have to worry. Apply a moisturiser to avoid dryness and avoid scratching. Hope I have answered all your queries and it helps you. Take care.