Treatment for pain near C7 bone affecting neck and shoulder?

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
hello doc I have pain near bone c7 which affect my neck and shoulder
Posted Sun, 16 Mar 2014 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 13 minutes later
Brief Answer: These could be posture related. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for your query. It's not uncommon in young people like yourself to have these neck pains. These could be posture related. Though self limiting, it need not be underestimated. You seem to follow a healthy lifestyle, which is favourable. All you need to do is correct your posture habits, like appropriate neck position while working on computer, avoiding pillow while sleeping, or while making sudden movements. I assure you this discomfort will go away unless you do something to aggravate it in your routine. You can even do neck isometric exercises, which you can learn from a physiotherapist near you. Do not self medicate, or need not take prescribed medications at all unless absolutely necessary. Rest is the trick here, and specific aforesaid exercises are your only long term insurance. You may benefit from hot fomentation and frequent stretch breaks at work. If it still fails to subside have it examined and investigated by your Orthopaedician soon. I do hope that you have found something helpful and I will be glad to answer any further query. Take care
Follow-up: Treatment for pain near C7 bone affecting neck and shoulder? 2 hours later
when I lay on the bed its very difficult to stand due to pain
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Use a Soft collar for short periods of time. Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXXXX , Use a Soft collar which allow the muscles of the neck to rest and limit neck motion. This can help decrease pain with movement. You can worn it for short periods of time.