Treatment for non-alcoholic fatty liver disease with mild elevation in enzymes?

Dear sir,,, My husband is 30 yrs old and he was detected with NAFLD grade III,, with SGOT 54 and SGPT 100.... what should be the treatment for this???? whether it can be controled through life style ???
Posted Sat, 2 Feb 2013 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Answered by Dr. Akhilesh Dubey 1 hour later

Thanks for sharing your concern,

Your husband is diagnosed Non-alcoholic fatty liver disease with mild elevation in liver enzymes. Treatment depends on cause here and hence before advising on treatment option, please let me know following:
1) Is he over weight for his height?
2) Does he take alcohol or not (I want be sure he is not taking alcohol)
3) Is there history of diabetes in family?
4) Does he take lot of soft drinks/a lot of sugar?
5) Did he suffer from Viral Hepatitis in past (Jaundice).
6) Has he tested for Thyroid function (T3, T4 & TSH), Lipid Profile.
7) Many drugs can cause this so is he taking any drug regularly or in past.

Awaiting your response...

Dr. Akhilesh Dubey M.D.

Follow-up: Treatment for non-alcoholic fatty liver disease with mild elevation in enzymes? 39 minutes later
No sir he is not overweight. neither he use to take alcohol??? yes he used to take soft drinks almost 500 ml /day...His mother has diabetes and liver cirrhosis. He is not diabetic..his lipid profile and TSH profile is also in normal range...He never had been suffered from Jaundice.... he is not taking drugs regularly but a month ago he took some steroids as the treatment of drug reaction....
Answered by Dr. Akhilesh Dubey 2 hours later

That is good that his weight is normal and that he is not taking alcohol.
There is some association between soft drink consumption and NAFLD due to Fructose syrup.
Steroids can cause fatty liver. It depends on how long he took for allergy. It must have been for very short period.

It is good that his blood sugar, lipid profile and Thyroid function are normal at present.
In diet he should completely avoid high fructose content, corn syrup, and trans fats which are present in XXXXXXX fried food and hydrogenated oil(Vanaspati). Other drugs which may be useful are Vitamin E, Metformin, and UDCA (Ursodeoxycholic acid). He should visit a Physician or Gastroenterologist and take his treatment regularly.

I wish him speedy recovery.

Hope I have answered your query, if there is nothing please accept my answer and close this discussion.

If you have any further query please revert back to me.

Dr. Akhilesh Dubey M.D.