Treatment for lower back pain, hip pain, leg pain due slipped disc?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Apr 2014
Apr 2014

Radiologist
Question
Hi Doctor,, I am 30 year old Female. I am feeling pain in lower back which moves from my back to hips in left side and also goes into leg from last 2 months.. I visited physician he said it is Disk Slip case and given me some painkillers ( etosine mr) and some mussels supportive ( Neugaba ) with rest suggestion. I am taking these medicine from last 2 month and initially I have taken rest which given me relief for some time but after that pain again started. Now my doc advised me to go for MRI (report is attached). I also going for physiotherapy also. Please suggest and check the my MRI report.
Posted Mon, 10 Mar 2014 in Back Pain

Answered by Dr. Indu Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer: You are suffering from degenerative disc disease. Detailed Answer: Hello XXXXXXX XXXXXXX Thanks for writing to us According to history and reports you have degenerative disc disease of lumbar spine. Degenerative changes occurs in spine due to aging and development of weakness in annulus fibrosis which allows herniation of disc.These changes are early in your case. According to MRI reports, 1.There is spondylotic changes in lumbar spine and diffuse annular disc bulge with herniation/protrusion of disc in left paracentral position at L4-5 level and this is causing compression over left L4 exiting nerve roots. Compression over nerve roots is the cause for your pain. Treatment for degenerative lumbar disease includes physiotherapy or surgery. Effectiveness of both modalities are same.So,physiotherpay should be tried first. It causes strengthening of Para spinal muscles and it prevents further changes. In acute cases,ideally physiotherapy should be started after pain subsides. Surgery should be the last option. There are also medicines like capsule pregabalin available for pain relief. Other pain relieving modalities are Ozone ablation,Radiofrequency ablation,percutaneous disectomy etc. Steroids are also used for foramen block,but it is not the definite treatment. Treatment can be planned after consultation with neurosurgeon. You should also modify your posture while sitting,standing and don't abruptly bend forward.Don't stand for prolong period.During standing position try to stand over one leg at a time so that entire body weight comes over one leg and other leg is in resting/folded position. You also need estimation of serum calcium & Vitamin D level,Thyroid profile. You should also try to keep your blood pressure in controlled level.Take your medicines on time and take restricted salt in your diet.Avoid fatty,fried food. Take lot of fruits and vegetables in your diet. You should go for walking and be happy in life. Get well soon. Hope i have answered your query. Further queries are most welcome. Take Care Dr.Indu XXXXXXX

Follow-up: Treatment for lower back pain, hip pain, leg pain due slipped disc? 17 minutes later
THANKS Doctor for your reply.. Is that my MRI shows any serious condition or it could be easily recovered.. ??? Now in this situation is there chances of get heal without surgery and what is the way.. Medicines will help to get out of it or what else I should go for to avoid surgery.. as I don't want to go for surgery any more.. I have a 3 year old child born by operation.. Please advice Regards, XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Indu Kumar 15 minutes later
Brief Answer: Most of the cases are easily managed by exercise. Detailed Answer: Hello XXXXXXX XXXXXXX Thanks for writing back Disc prolapse is a very common problem now a days. Most of the cases are easily managed by physiotherapy.You should do exercise regularly.You can't take medicines for ever. Please take precautions already discussed.Don't lift heavy objects. Be regular in exercise,it will strengthen you back muscles otherwise it may get deteriorate further. Get well soon. Hope i have answered your query. Further queries are most welcome. Take Care Dr.Indu XXXXXXX

Follow-up: Treatment for lower back pain, hip pain, leg pain due slipped disc? 42 hours later
Thanks, My only last quarry is my doctor has suggested me to go for surgery after viewing my MRI Scan.. He said for 2 week to take rest and medicine and if pain will persists than to go for a surgery by needles.. He said in this surgery no cut is required only by one needle they will burn the water of disk to squeeze the disk and remove the pressure on nerve.. My question is that surgery is required to me.. any alternate option..beneficial to me if not cure by medicine rest & exercise.. any long term complication by opting this surgery and last is that surgery is costly ??

Answered by Dr. Indu Kumar 5 hours later
Brief Answer: First,you should consult physiotherapist. Detailed Answer: Hello XXXXXXX XXXXXXX Thanks for writing back Your doctor is probably talking about ozone ablation or percutaneous disectomy. These are the minimum invasive methods and can be tried in refractory cases. You are very young and i suggest you to refrain from any invasion unless it is debilitating for you. You should stress maximum on physiotherapy.First you should consult good physiotherapist.TENS(Trans cutaneous electric nerve stimulation) and deep Ultrasound heat therapy is done for pain relief in acute cases,then gradually you can start exercise. If any thing doesn't work then you can go for invasion. Get well soon. Hope i have answered your query. Further queries are most welcome. Take Care Dr.Indu XXXXXXX