Treatment for low testosterone?

For Low testosterone......
Which would you recommend(least expensive) if not on a medical plan and paying out of pocket?

TestIM? Axiron? Androgel? Other?
Posted Wed, 30 Oct 2013 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Answered by Dr. Shehzad Topiwala 38 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Injections are the least expensive

Detailed Answer:
Testosterone injections have been around the longest and are generic, so to speak. Obviously an actual prescription is needed as it is a controlled substance. They are effective and typically administered every 1-3 weeks, most commonly twice a month. They may result in 'peak and trough' levels ie blood levels peaking midway between the doses and reaching lower levels just before the next shot is due.

The gels are brand name and expensive. They are effective too and often provide steady levels of testosterone in the blood stream. Regardless of which one you choose from the names above, they are all approved gel forms of testosterone. Patches are available too but again are expensive.

An endocrinologist is best equipped to manage testosterone related matters
Follow-up: Treatment for low testosterone? 54 minutes later
Not sure if I got good advise on the cost of a testosterone gel or other topical ointments.

Can you help me further? FYI - Shots are not of consideration here because of costs.
Answered by Dr. Shehzad Topiwala 3 days later
Brief Answer:
Gels are expensive

Detailed Answer:
I see you are writing from US. I am very familiar with US pricing

Gels and patches are the most expensive, upto several hundred dollars a month out of pocket. These need a prescription too.

The injections cost significantly less compared to gels and patches, perhaps 50$ a month or so
Follow-up: Treatment for low testosterone? 11 hours later
Can a GP administer a Testosterone Shot or does a specialize need to?
Answered by Dr. Shehzad Topiwala 16 hours later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:
GP can administer it too