Treatment for immovable lump at base of skull and neck pain?

General Surgeon
I have started to get this neck pain and as I was rubbing it I noticed I had a golf ball size bump at the base of my skull... I thought it was a knot but it does not move and maybe like an infection but there is no fluid
Posted Tue, 4 Mar 2014 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Detailed below. Detailed Answer: Hello! Thank you for the query. Such lump can be a lymph node (which is can be present in this area), or benign skin lesion like sebaceus cyst or lipoma. Lymph node is usually related to the recent infection of close to it area. Lymph node is usually smooth and movable. Sebaceus cyst and lipoma are quite soft lumps. Both can be present in any skin area. Sebaceus cyst can give pain when infected. Lipoma does not hurt at all. Both lumps do not give any cancer risk. The best way to diagnose it is to have an ultrasound of this area. In case of lymph node, biopsy might be necessary. Lipoma or cyst can be removed. Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions. Regards.