Treatment for hypothyroidism

Radiologist, Nuclear Medicine
Question
Hello dr.... before 3 mnth i m feeling weakness then dr told me to go for lipid profile n thyroid test n both was high. so local dr adviced me to start temparary thyroxine 0.25mg n they told me if tsh come on 1 unit then i can stop. then after 1 mnth tsh was 5.5 bt still they told me to continue up to tsh 1.0 n nw after 2 mnth its high about 10.5 so do i need any special treatment to avoid thyroxin or i have to take life long cos may t3 n t4 is normal so wat do u advice. And still i m feeling weakness like back pain, leg pain, miner infaction in throte.
Posted Sun, 23 Feb 2014 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems

Answered by Dr. Manoranjan Chowhan 19 minutes later
Brief Answer: no short treatment available for hypothyroidism Detailed Answer: As you are suffering from weakness and your TSH is still high despite your treatment with 0.25 mg of Thyroxine , it will be prudent to augment the dose to 50 mcg and to continue for long time There is no short treatment available for hypothyroidism Most likely you suffer from chronic lymphocytic thyroidities and that causes failure of thyroid gland to manufacture enough hormone necessary for your daily metabolic needs. More over it is important that you also get Anti Microsomal antibody test done to better diagnose your thyroid status. Please keep regular check of your weight that can act to monitor if treatment is in right direction or not. with best wishes Dr Chowhan

Follow-up: Treatment for hypothyroidism 27 minutes later
n also i want to knw wat dose mean this report of my lung.

Answered by Dr. Manoranjan Chowhan 12 minutes later
Brief Answer: Reply Detailed Answer: Thanks for asking regarding your chest X Ray findings There is bilateral bronchovascular marking in lung. Unless you have some respiratory/chest symptoms eg Cough or chest infection (known cause) this finding can be ignored. Overall your chest Xray report is normal. In some infection/inflammatory conditions of lung there may be bilateral bronchovascular marking (you have mentioned that you have throat infection) This can be treated and the same may turn out to be normal eventually. With best wishes Dr Chowhan

Follow-up: Treatment for hypothyroidism 16 minutes later
yeap i m feeling bit of chest infection bt i m not sure is it infection or muscle pain.... some time i feel like coughing bt not regularly its like every morning.... n if i talk with somone continusely above 1 hrs on phone then also i feel like throt infection bt whenever i asked to dr they r said its normal so i dont knw nw wat to do

Answered by Dr. Manoranjan Chowhan 39 hours later
Brief Answer: Followup reply Detailed Answer: You need not worry if the complaints of chest infection or throat infection (that you feel) is short lasting, as many viral illness difficult to diagnose for sure so any symptomatic treatment like warm saline gurgle besides some cough mixture may help to address this issue. Overall you need not worry too much as your Family Physician will take care of the issues. With best wishes Dr Chowhan

Follow-up: Treatment for hypothyroidism 1 hour later
ok but as you told what is the treatment for bronchovascular marking. and if i want to see you where are u situated.

Answered by Dr. Manoranjan Chowhan 14 minutes later
Brief Answer: Followup reply Detailed Answer: Please note that bronchovascular marking is a radiological finding and does not necessarily mean you have some underlying pathology(many times it is not taken in to account without related symptoms) for which you need treatment however if you still need to meet me I practice in Kolkata,India and you can visit my center if you like. my details can be given once you confirm to visit with best wishes and thanks

Follow-up: Treatment for hypothyroidism 3 days later
sorry for asking to many questions bt bronchovascular marking can effect tsh or its totlay diffrent thing n what is the symptoms..

Answered by Dr. Manoranjan Chowhan 20 hours later
Brief Answer: Reply Detailed Answer: Bronchovascular marking is many times nonspecific it is not related to or does not affect Sr TSH at all. Moreover it is not the symptom it is a finding seen by radiologist it has no importance unless it is corroborated with some respiratory symptoms so don't get unnecessarily worried by medical terminology leave it to treating doctor to interpret and to decide if at all any treatment is necessary depending on other examination finding which Doctor who examines you knows best. with best wishes from Dr Chowhan