Treatment for gall bladder stone?

May 2013
Hi Doctor,
Greeting od the day!

My Mother XXXXXXX Age-54 having 15 mm stone in her gol-bladder. Pls. advice the solution.

B. rgds
Posted Tue, 5 Jun 2012 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 3 hours later
Accumulation of bile components in the gallbladder leads to formation of gallstones. This condition is called cholelithiasis.

Treatment of gallstones depends on,

- patient is symptomatic or not.
Normally in 80% of cases stones remain asymptomatic which is called silent stones. But it is said that stones above 8 mm size may become symptomatic.
You didn’t mention about symptoms but as the stone's size is 15 mm and your are seeking medical advice, I am thinking that your mother might have symptoms.
The usual symptoms are pain, fever, jaundice etc.

-presence of diabetes
In case of diabetes patients to be treated even without symptoms as there is chance of recurrent infections.

-Patients with associated common bile duct stones are to be treated.

-Patients with recurrent cholecystitis also to be treated.

Treatment options depends on type of stones.

There are three types of gall stones, cholesterol stones, pigment stones and mixed stones.
Among these only cholesterol stones can be treated medically by using ursodeoxycholic acid, which should be taken for two years and chances of recurrence is there after stoppage. Normally smaller stones will be treated with this.

For small number of stones extracorporeal shock wave lithotripsy is available, in which ultrasonic waves are used to break the stones.

Surgery is main mode of treatment normally, the options are,
Open cholecystectomy or laparoscopic cholecystectomy.
You discuss with your doctor regarding these options and decide according to your mother symptoms and his opinion on them.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please do not forget to accept it.
take care.

Follow-up: Treatment for gall bladder stone? 10 hours later
Hi Dr. Sree,

Good morning!

Thankyou very much for your usefull advise.

I'll send you some other reports of my mom in next mail, which helps you to understand her symptoms.

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 8 hours later

I am happy that information given by me became useful to you.
Till now I didn't receive any mail.
After receiving, according to the symptoms I can give further advice.

Wishing good health to your mother, If you are satisfied with my response please accept it.
take care