Treatment for fungal infection of skin

Hi, After doing some research I believe I have a Pilonidal sinus/ dimple. About 6 months ago I felt slight discomfort while sitting and noticed after self examination a hold/slit right below my tailbone. I thought it was a blemish so I squeezed and it popped. After cleansing the area I felt fine until last week. I do not have any pain or discomfort however It appears there is a weeping or slight oozing coming from that area and I noticed because it gave me a slight "diaper rash affect" on the inside of my butt cheeks. (I originally thought it was just perspiration) After taking the attached photo's I noticed the slit I originally saw has a very very small pin hold a half an inch above it. All the info I can find online is for Pilonidal cysts and from those symptoms I don't believe I have a cyst anywhere, also as I mentioned there is no pain or discomfort. I have shaved and cleansed the area and soaked in a bath today since there is obviously a slight infection/irritation. After which I used a Qtip to put peroxide on the opening followed by a dab of tea tree oil. Is there any suggestions you could give on over the counter products or methods I could use to clear this up, and perhaps prevention methods incase this happens again? thank you in advance. XXXX
Posted Wed, 12 Mar 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 1 hour later
Brief Answer: This is a fungal infection Detailed Answer: Hi and thank you so much for this query. I am so sorry to hear about these symptoms you have reported. I have reviewed the information and attached images. This is clearly a rash with active borders and central clearing. This is typical of a fungal infection. Typically, it would itch especially when you sweat. Treatment is topical fungal cream like clotrimazole. Apply twice daily after baths for 10-14days. Was and disinfect your dresses A pilonidal cyst is a more complex condition. It presents with an infection that constantly drains pus. There is just no reason to suggest that from the information and images I have reviewed. If there is any pus draining, please let me know. I hope this addresses your query fully. Thank you so much for patronizing our services and please do feel free to ask for follow up clarifications and information if need be. I wish you the best of health. Dr. Ditah, MD.
Follow-up: Treatment for fungal infection of skin 40 hours later
Hi Dr. Ditah, Thank you for your quick reply. The small rash on the inside of my buttocks is clearing I have used the clotrimazole cream twice and that already looks better. There is a small amount of pus that seems to be draining from the small sinus/hole below my tailbone in the photo. I have been soaking in epsom salt which seams to be helping drain whatever mild infection is in there. Its not alot but I have been placing a small amount of tissue in between my crevasse to absorb the weeping. After cleaning should I also be putting the clotrimazole cream on that area where the pus is mildly coming from as well? Best, XXXX
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 58 minutes later
Brief Answer: Happy to hear it is clearing already Detailed Answer: Hi and thank you so much for this update. If pus is coming from the inside, then there is probably a bacteria infection that has made it way through the opening created by the fungal wounds. it would need appropriate wound care and maybe antibiotics to address this. I will advice that you visit your doctor for examination, wound care and maybe some antibiotics. I will not want that we take any chances. Fungal alone would not cause pus to drain fro the dimple. Just get it examined and let's be clear about it. I wish you well. Thanks. Dr. Ditah, MD.