Treatment for elongated cervix during pregnancy

Mar 2016

Hi, I am 12 weeks pregnant and my cervix length is 2.8 cms, it was 3.2 cms at 8 weeks. My doctor is telling that cervix length is good and no need to worry if it is more than 2.5 cms and circlage is not required. They will chk cervix length at 15th week or 16th week and then they vl decide itseems. I am a software professional, so pls advice me on this. whether i have to go for circlage as soon as possible and if i can continue my job for some more days. I will be waiting for your response
Posted Fri, 21 Mar 2014 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. S Patra 1 hour later
Brief Answer: DON'T BE MUCH WORRIED. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for writing to us. Followings are my comments: 1) Cervix may be elongated during early weeks of pregnancy. However, it will be shorten gradually over the time period. Currently, your cervix length is 2.8 cm as compare to previous status. 2) I suggest to wait another 4 weeks and undergo pelvic or vaginal examination to confirm the current length of cervix. It will also help to decide whether you need cervical cerclage operation or not. 3) You need adequate bed rest for few weeks and it is better to avoid job until you get your doctor's confirmation on next visit. 4) You have to follow some additional measures till 28 weeks to prevent preterm labor: - Do periodic check up with schedule ultrasound scan for proper assessment of fetal well being and progression of pregnancy. - Take adequate bed rest (10-12 hrs/ day) with left lateral position or elevate foot end with one pillow. - Take balanced protein rich diet with more vegetables and drink more water or juice for better feto-placental circulation. - Avoid heavy work/ lifting heavy objects/ long journey/ uneven surface/ sexual intercourse/ repeated ups & downs etc. - Maintain genital hygiene and avoid unnecessary mental stress or emotional upset. Hope, I have guided you properly. Kindly, close the discussion if you don't have any other query. Wish your good health and successful motherhood. Don't be worried. Regards, Dr Soumen For future query, you can directly approach me through