Treatment for constant itching in hands, legs and stomach?

My friend has constant itching in hands,legs and stomach and it becomes white.
Posted Sun, 24 Mar 2013 in Skin Rash
Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 34 minutes later
This itching could be due to dry skin, eczematous skin conditions, scabies etc.
To assist you in a better way, I would like to know
Since how long he is having it
If his skin is dry
If he has scaly red itchy lesions over body
If he has dandruff scalp too
If he had small tiny red elevated severely itchy lesions over hands , thighs, wrist, web spaces of finger, abdomen etc. If itching is more in night and other family members too have such history
If the itchy lesions are swollen red lesions which subside on its own to recur elsewhere over body

Answering these questions, would help me in suggesting proper treatment.

Hoping to hear from you soon.
Follow-up: Treatment for constant itching in hands, legs and stomach? 9 minutes later
He is having it for the past 2 days. He has dry skin. He has scaly lesions in hands, Thigh and Abdomen. He says itching is more in night and not able to sleep well.
Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 1 hour later
Thanks for writing back.
This could be due to dry skin, eczema or ring worm also.
If its due to dry skin or eczema, application of a medicated moisturiser like venusia twice to thrice in a day along with application of steroid cream like mometasone over affected areas would help. If the lesions are too itchy then he can take tablet cetirizine
Also ask him to use a mild soap like cetaphil or hidrate or elovera soap bar or body wash.

However if its tinea or ringworm( it is characterised by ring shaped lesions), instead of applying mometasone cream a topical antifungal cream like clotrimazole should be applied. Sometimes oral antifungal like fluconazole may be required to control infection. Rest of the treatment protocol would remain same as above as he has dry skin.

If your friend could upload an image of concerned area, I would be in a better position to assist you.

Hope that answers your query. Take care