Treatment for concussion sypmtoms

Nov 2013

I was in an auto accident 6 weeks ago...concussion, and still experiencing, photo-phobia, time dilation, dazed, headaches. Fluorescent lights, car headlights and reading screens of text bring on the headaches. I'm a software engineer, this impacts my job. I was pre-hypertensive prior to the last visit my bp was 134/96 so my Dr put me on Hydryochlorot, said some of my symptoms may be hypertension related. I took one dose and it seemed to make all my symptoms worse, then I read the side effects...I question why a Dr would prescribe a treatment that could mask/mimic the concussion symptoms. I'm still waiting to be seen by a neurologist, my Dr can't seem to get them to see me earlier than March 20. My Dr seems more interested in treating the hypertension than the concussion. What can I do besides wait for the Neurologist? I need to get back to work.
Posted Sat, 15 Mar 2014 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 8 hours later
Brief Answer: Symptoms seem to be due to aggravation of migraine Detailed Answer: Hi, Thank you for posting your query. I have noted your symptoms and treatment received so far. The cause of your headache seem to be due to multiple factors: 1. Aggravation of migraine, 2. Concussion due to head injury, 3. Hypertension. You should be put on preventive migraine treatment to reduce the severity and frequency of headaches. The best options would be beta blockers or divalproex. For concussion, there is no specific treatment, however, the symptoms would respond to medications. For headache, you can take diclofenac or ibuprofen tablets. For treating hypertension, the best options in your case would be either olmesartan or telmisartan. I hope my answer helps. Please get back if you have any follow up queries or if you require any additional information. Wishing you good health, Dr Sudhir Kumar MD (Internal Medicine), DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad, India Click on this link to ask me a DIRECT QUERY: My BLOG: