Treatment for chronic rheumatoid arthritis?

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
I have extreme weakness of both arms & shoulders and tingling & numbness of fingers on both hands. I have chronic rheumatoid arthritis. My orthopaedic neurosurgeon can't do any more to help and has referred me to a pain clinic.
Posted Sat, 26 Jan 2013 in Arthritis
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 1 hour later

I can understand your pain.I would like to tell you about nature of the disease so that you can better understand the disease.

It is an autoimmune disease, which means the body's immune system mistakenly attacks healthy tissue and is also a long-term disease that leads to inflammation of the joints and surrounding tissues.

It requires lifelong treatment in form of medication (like anti-inflammatory drugs, Disease modifying antirheumatoid drugs and biological), physical therapy, exercise and possibly surgery.

Early, aggressive treatment for RA can delay joint destruction.

At present you are not taking Disease modifying antirheumatoid drugs and biological. So I advice you to discuss about this with your orthopaedic.

I hope this answers your query. I will be available for further guidance if you needed.

Wishing you good health...
Dr Saurabh Gupta.
Orthopaedic surgeon