Treatment for child's inability to digest milk and discomfort?

General Surgeon
Hi Doctor, Thanks for your reply on my last query. Furthermore my daughter face some more problem as below. 1). She will not able to digest milk, whenever she feed milk , after sometime she vomits whole mlk. 2), Full day & night she do shit(potty) in a small-small quantity. 3). She feels uncomfortable whole day & night,some sound (may be cough) coming from her chest when she takes breath. Pls. suggest any medication or any other way, so that my daughter keep healthy.
Posted Mon, 10 Mar 2014 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Deepak Kishore Kaltari 27 minutes later
Brief Answer: It's likely to be due to improper burping Detailed Answer: Hi Welcome to Healthcare-Magic Greetings of the day Dear Mr XXXXXXX This is a very common problem many of the parents have. Vomiting after feeds. I would like to have more information about the vomiting 1. Is it forceful vomiting or just curdled milk coming out of the mouth? 2. Is it a small quantity like overflow from full stomach? The most commonest cause of vomiting in child is regurgitation of feeds. It's not vomiting which is usually forceful but just overflow from full stomach known as regurgitation. It occurs due to not giving Burping. ( place the child upright on your chest , the head of child should be above your shoulder and nose free from any obstruction, gently XXXXXXX the back). When the child consumes milk it also swallows air which leads to distension of stomach and that swallowed air has to be expelling burping. The same way we adults burp after feeds. Failure to do burping or improper burping is common cause for vomiting. Babies usually pass stools after every feeds due to gastro-colic reflux. There is no cause for concern if there is no redness in the anal region and also baby sleeps for at least 2 hours after every feeds. Sometimes children do produce cough like sound especially while sleeping. Proper burping will solve the issue. Do get back to me with the details so that I can reply to you in much more detail. Do not worry , from the description given so far I feel there is no cause for concern. Take care Best Regards Dr Deepak Kishore MBBS, MS, MCH Consultant Pediatric Surgeon
Follow-up: Treatment for child's inability to digest milk and discomfort? 34 minutes later
Thanks doctor for reply. I will provide you all detail for your understanding. 1). Most of the time its a forcefull vomiting.and its look like that she vomits all milk what she feeds. 2). We already follow same style for giving burping from the day of feeding, but after take burping she vomits. 3). About the stools, she will do full day before feeding also and sometime when she farting a small qty. of stools(not in a thick form, its in a thin form) comes. There is no redness but yellow & green color stools comes. 4). About the cough like sound usually the problem happened while sleeping and when she awake 5). About her sleeping, full day she sleeps but at night she awake and cry full night even after feed and very much uncomfortable.
Answered by Dr. Deepak Kishore Kaltari 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Ultrasound abdomen required Detailed Answer: Dear Mr XXXXXXX Every baby has their own sleep cycle. Many sleep majority during dad and some during night. If she is vomiting forcefully after every feeds and does not sleep well after feeds it's important to consider the possibility of Infantile Hypertrophic Pyloric Stenosis as the cause especially if the vomiting has started now and not present soon after birth. It can be easily ruled out by getting Ultrasound of abdomen in which the thickness and length of pyloric canal (outlet from the stomach) are measured. If the ultrasound is normal then there is no cause for concern. Excessive crying in child is because of the following things 1. Feeds not adequate 2. Requires diaper change 3. Redness in anal region which causes pain to the child. 4. Abdominal colic or some other problem which requires attention. Presently I would recommend you to get an Ultrasound of the abdomen of the baby. Do not be worried. Get in touch with your Radiologist or Pediatrician and ask him to rule out possibility of infanti Le hypertrophy pyloric Stenosis. Any further clarification get in touch with me. Being a Parent myself I understand your concern. Wishing your daughter good health. Take care Best Regards Dr Deepak Kishore MBBS, MS, MCH Consultant Pediatric Surgeon