Treatment for child's dry cough despite giving Cetrizine?

General Surgeon
Question
Hello doctor I am XXXX I have a 2 yrs daughter , she has dry cough since day before yesterday and has no fever and cold .we tried giving citrizen since yest and improvemt seen.kindly advice With citrizen no improvement seen
Posted Sun, 16 Mar 2014 in Child Health

Answered by Dr. Deepak Kishore Kaltari 41 minutes later
Brief Answer: Warm saline gargling will be helpful Detailed Answer: Hi Welcome to Healthcare-Magic Greetings of the day Dear Mr XXXXXXX Being a Parent myself I understand your concern. I would like to reassure that dry cough in the absence of other symptom is self limiting. It is usually due to viral infection and post inflammatory hyperactive airway. I would suggest you the following which will definitely help 1. Syrup Ambrodil plus 2 ml thrice a day for 3 days 2. Decoction : to a cup of milk + 10 Tulsi leaves + 1 spoon of turmeric + 2 gm of fresh ginger + 2 spoon of sugar + 2 black pepper . Bring it to boil. Feed her hot with wati and spoon. It will be very soothening to her throat and will ease the throat congestion. 3. Warm saline gargling : Add two spoon of common table salt to glass of lukewarm water. Make her gargle her throat if possible and if she is cooperative. You can demonstrate it to her. Make her do it twice a day. 4. To a spoon of honey add two drops of fresh lemon juice and give her to drink thrice a day. (Much better and soothening compared to artificial things available in the pharmacy) 5. Feed her warm soups 6. Avoid Oily and cold food stuffs. Wishing her a speedy recovery. Take care Best Regards Dr Deepak Kishore MBBS, MS, MCH Consultant Pediatric Surgeon

Follow-up: Treatment for child's dry cough despite giving Cetrizine? 3 days later
Thank you doctor for your advice. Followed the advice, however she is has congestion with cough where she is unable to get the phlegm out .Kindly any medication which will help her.

Answered by Dr. Deepak Kishore Kaltari 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Syrup Expect PD will be helpful Detailed Answer: Hi Greetings Dear Mr XXXXXXX I would suggest you the following which will help 1. SYRUP Expect PD 3 ml thrice a day 2. NEBULIZATION with Normal Saline twice a day will be helpful. Wishing her speedy recovery. Take care Best Regards Dr Deepak Kishore MBBS, MS, MCH Consultant Pediatric Surgeon