Treatment for candida in bloodstream of immunocompromised patient?

Infectious Diseases Specialist
my daughter is immuo compromised and has candidia in blood stream we do not know how to proceed
Posted Sat, 8 Mar 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Fatbardha Sejdini 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Immediate anti-fungal therapy should be initiated. Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for your query. If she is immuno-compromised and has blood candida infection, then, she should be hospitalized and iv anti-fungal therapy is initiated followed by oral therapy. Once the symptoms will be reversed and blood culture will be negative for candida, she can come back home and should be followed up regularly by her physician. Oral anti-fungal therapy should be continued at home. I also advise to: - ask her to drink more water - have a healthy and nutritious diet - take multivitamin supplements Hope it was of help! Dr.Bardha Feel free to ask me other questions you might have!