Treatment for brown, raised rash on wrist without injury?

I am a district RN at Cucamonga School District. I have a student that has a brown slightly raised rash on his right wrist. Mom just noticed it this week. It was not caused by any injury. It is about 3 inches long. XXXXXXX Thank you so much. We notified parent to follow up with physician but it helps if we can guide the parent. Our parent population is without insurance.
Posted Tue, 4 Mar 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Geetika Paul 44 minutes later
Brief Answer: Eczematous skin lesion, any itching Detailed Answer: Hi I understand your concern regarding the skin problem and I hope I am able to help you in the same. I have seen the attached picture. It looks like your student has developed an eczematous skin lesion. These is one thing that I would like to know from you. Is the child having any associated itching? Also please tell, if the child is wearing anything in his wrist which can probably cause some friction. I am sure I will be able to help you more once you provide me the above details. Dr Geetika Paul
Follow-up: Treatment for brown, raised rash on wrist without injury? 27 hours later
the student came into health office stating it was itching and burning. The child did not know if he had worn anything on his wrist. I asked the student if he had any citrus and was out in sun. The student denied everything. XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Geetika Paul 5 hours later
Brief Answer: Allergic skin reaction due to insects or plants Detailed Answer: Hi again Itching in the lesion is suggestive of an allergic reaction. Such a reaction can occur due to an insect bite or it can be due to contact with an chemical or plant. You need to apply a topical steroid cream like cortisone over the lesion twice a day. In addition, you can give oral benadryl if the itching and burning is too much. Do not apply anything else over the lesion. Avoid applying dettol or savlon. Dr Geetika Paul