Treatment for brown crusty nipples

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
I have brown crusty nipples on and around the nipple
Posted Wed, 11 Apr 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 1 hour later

In order to be able to provide you with most suitable advise, I would like to know a detailed history including ,
1. Onset, duration and progress of symptoms, dimensions and description of lesions.
2. Any preexisting allergy or skin eczematous condition .
3. Any associated symptoms like lump, discharge or pain in breast .
4. Any general illness or any long term medications taken.

As of now assuming you have no other features except crusting of nipple and areola around it , the most likely diagnoses could be either as minor as nipple eczema or as severe as a breast neoplasm called pagets disease.

Pagets disease is a malignant condition of breast with features very similar to dermatitis ( skin irritation )or eczema of nipple.

The first symptom is usually an eczema-like rash, usually only affecting one nipple. The skin of the nipple and areola may be red, itchy and inflamed. Some women have an itching or burning sensation. Fluid (discharge) may leak from the abnormal area of nipple. The nipple may turn inwards (be inverted). There may or may not be a lump in the breast, and there may be redness, oozing and crusting, and a sore that does not heal.

The symptoms usually affect the nipple and then spread to the areola and then the breast. It is common for the symptoms to disappear for a while, which may make the patient think incorrectly
that the condition has cleared up spontaneously.

But it can recurr or persist for more than a month, in which case it's best to get a breast examination and biopsy to confirm the diagnosis.

So if this has been since more than a couple of weeks,I would advise you to consult a surgeon for a physical examination and if required a biopsy or mammogram to confirm the diagnosis.

If since a couple of days you may wait and watch for response to local antiinflammatory antibiotic ointments as per your doctors advice.

Hope I have answered your query.

Awaiting your response.