Treatment for bony outgrowth on wrist

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
My niece, 15 yrs, has had her wrist scanned. The report says there is evidence of bony projection from dorsal aspect of radius appear to be indenting the synovial shear of exterior tendon overlying it. Mild focal fluid is also noted around the tendon and no evidence of ganglion cyst. What is the best treatment for her. Surgery or acetic acid injection? Are there side effects? Can physiotherapy help? Any thing else that can done to relieve her of the pain in her wrist?
Posted Fri, 21 Mar 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 46 minutes later
Brief Answer: Best treatment is surgical removal. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for your query. As this is bony outgrowth irritating the tendon overlying it, best treatment for her is surgical removal of bony outgrowth. Local steroid injection can be helpful in reducing the pain and inflammation associated with synovitis. She can try physiotherapy for pain relief. I do hope that you have found something helpful and I will be glad to answer any further query. Take care
Follow-up: Treatment for bony outgrowth on wrist 1 hour later
Can you suggest something for her pain in the meantime? She has exams coming and her wrist pains even when she writes.
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Tylenol or ibuprofen for pain control. Detailed Answer: Hi, Meantime she can take tylenol or ibuprofen for pain control.Ice packing over the affected area once in 2 hours.Once the acute pain subsides, Moist heat application over the affected area. She may apply a local analgesic gel on that area. Regards,