Treatment for body ache, swollen throat, ear pain, and neck pain?

The back of my throat, left side,feels swollen and hurts badly when I swallow. It hurts to swallow saliva, beverages and food. The neck on my left side hurts to touch and the left ear is a little achy. My throat and neck is very painful even when I blow my nose. I don't have a fever, but body is a little achy.
Posted Tue, 4 Mar 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Prasad 4 hours later
Brief Answer: Probable symptoms of inflammation... Detailed Answer: Hi, The symptoms you posted clearly seems to be pointing towards throat inflammation. Presence of prodromol symptoms of body ache and neck pain suggest an infective cause. I would order for complete blood count and throat swab to confirm infective etiology especially since you are not running fever. But if the symptoms are very recent in onset, you can try simple home measures before visiting the doctor. I would start these measures at home: 1. Antiinflammatory pain killers can be very handy now. You can start tylenol pain relief medicines three times a day. Advil is the second choice if tylenol isn't effective (I hope you do not have any drug allergies). Combine these medicines with prilosec OTC once a day to prevent heart burn / gastritis issues which usually accompany upper respiratory inflammation. 2. XXXXXXX warm gargles. A teaspoon of salt or betadine gargle solution can be added for better results. 3. Throat lozenges such as cepacol throat lozenges can give instant relief especially before your meals. You can try as it is over the counter too. 4. Less hot and less spicy food will be more palatable in this circumstance. You can try something soft and liquid if needed to keep your nutrition and hydration up. 5. Lastly rest your body adequately. As you try these, watch the progress of your symptoms. Worsening sore throat, high grade fever and rashes are concerning signs. Visit the doctor as and when possible. Hope this helps. Let me know if you need clarifications. Regards