Ask a Dentist   »  

Treatment for bleeding teeth and gum?

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Hi my daughter having problem eating right now cause her gum is and teeth is bleeding and also bad smell what can I do ?
Posted Tue, 19 Mar 2013 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 36 minutes later
Hi and Welcome to XXXXXXX

The above mentioned features are of upper respiratory tract infection. The swollen glands are due to the infection in the throat. Whenever there is infection in the throat or oral cavity, the lymph nodes (also called glands) get enlarged as a response to the infection to fight against the infection.

Most of the times, the upper respiratory tract infection is or viral in origin and is usually self limiting. She can take symptomatic medicines for time being and if the symptoms do not subside within 3-4days, it is better to visit the doctor for a thorough evaluation and management.

In addition, steam inhalation, warm fluids and lozenges would also help tremendously.

Till then, you can give her anti-inflammatory medicines (such as diclofenac or ibuprofen), do throat gargles with povidone iodine solution 3-4 times a day after food, drink plenty of warm water, and avoid chilled beverages for few days, have plenty of citrus fruits like oranges, lemons, gooseberries.

I am sure she'd be feeling better very soon.

Hope this will help you. Please do write back if you have any additional concerns.

Dr Saurabh Gupta.