Treatment for bacterial infection in the naval area

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Jan 2014
Jan 2014

Dermatologist
Question
Hi My navel area is swollen , reddish , sore itchy and hurts to the top half Pain is more if I bend forward Although the navel area is swollen and my belly button is not visible there is no actual pain on the belly button itself Thanks
Posted Thu, 20 Mar 2014 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Cellulitis Detailed Answer: Hello and Welcome to HealthcareMagic. Seems to me a case of bacterial infection/cellulitis. The area is red, swollen, more so just around the navel. Though, I would like to gather some more information from you in order to be able to help you better. --Since how many days has it been there? Is it spreading?Did it start from the navel? --Do you have fever? --Did you use any antiseptic Or anything else,to cleanse this area? I would advice that you get a prescription for an oral Antibiotic (penicillin group e.g Amoxycillin in combination with clavulanic acid, 625 mg, thrice daily for a week). An OTC ant bacterial e.g Ibuprofen can be taken once or twice daily for pain and discomfort. I hope this answers your query regards

Follow-up: Treatment for bacterial infection in the naval area 28 minutes later
Hi Last couple of days it started spreading Yes it started from the navel Had it seven days Taken nothing for it or put any thing on the area Tonight my body is hot but i feel cold

Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 4 hours later
Brief Answer: Cellulitis Detailed Answer: Hi. I would keep a possibility of cellulitis. I would advice that you get a prescription for an oral Antibiotic (penicillin group e.g Amoxycillin in combination with clavulanic acid, 625 mg, thrice daily for a week). An OTC pain killer e.g Ibuprofen can be taken once or twice daily for pain and discomfort. take care regards