Treatment for atrial septal defect?

My main question is what are the chance of closing of ASD on its own. Also can my baby have a normal and sporty life when he grows.
Posted Wed, 13 Mar 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Ravindra L Kulkarni 28 hours later

I have read your query and seen the attached reports.

As regards with your question about ASD, we must understand that it is a birth defect, which is present since birth and needs surgical correction. However, the good thing about ASD is it represents completely curable form of congenital heart disease and has a excellent prognosis just like normal human being.

Based on the size, location and pressure gradient across the defect, we have two options to deal with that - first is surgical closure, which is open heart surgery, generally preferred with large size defects or defects with irregular borders. Second is device closure, which is minimally invasive procedure, uses devices like umbrella to close the defect. Procedure is performed through femoral artery - thigh route and also has good outcome.

So be assured that baby has excellent prognosis and once treated, ASD will not have any problem in later life. In addition, understand that spontaneous closure of ASD is less likely, so it is better to evaluate the defect, choose one of the 2 treatment options and proceed ahead.

Please feel free to ask any queries if you have.

Wish your baby good health.