Treatment for abdominal pain, stomach pain, back pain, abnormal stools?

Gastroenterologist
Question
Im a 32 yr old female with upper and central abdominal pain, i have pain under my ribs on the left side, and aching under my left shoulder blade. I wake up with stomach and back pains every day. I'm very tired. My bowels open every morning about the same time, its loosh and yellowish and the pain isnt relieved when I go. There is no blood or mucus. I have had tests for celiac and h pylori both are negative. This has been going on for almost 4 months. I have lost about a stone in weight. Please can someone give me some advice i'm very worried.
Posted Sat, 8 Mar 2014 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Klerida Shehu 51 minutes later
Brief Answer: Kindly provide if you are taking any treatment? Detailed Answer: Hi, I have read your medical history and understood your concerns. There are many factors giving pain under the ribs on the left side as you are experiencing, including: - intestinal infectious disease - IBS - gallbladder problems - stomach issues - any medication (e.g.contraception pill) you have been using recently I highly suggest to get further evaluated and run further tests in order to determine the right cause to your actual health problems: - abdominal ultrasound - examination of stool for ova/parasite - culture of feces for candida/bacteria - upper endoscopy - urine analysis Depending on the test results, specific treatment will be prescribed. Hope it was of help! Dr.Klerida Feel free to ask me other questions you might have!

Follow-up: Treatment for abdominal pain, stomach pain, back pain, abnormal stools? 1 minute later
Im taking omeprazole and cilest

Answered by Dr. Klerida Shehu 16 minutes later
Brief Answer: Cilest might be one of the causes to your problems Detailed Answer: Hi back, Thank you for following up. If you are taking omeprazole, this medicine will relieve the stomach complains. Cilest is a contraceptive pill that is commonly associated with the symptoms you are having. I suggest to stop using this pill and try other contraceptive measures. However, I still insist to run the tests as suggested earlier in order to determine the right cause to your problems. Hope it was of help! Dr.Klerida

Thank you, can you explain why cilest might be causing these problems? My main concern is my pancreas, is this a valid concern with my symptoms?

Answered by Dr. Klerida Shehu 39 minutes later
Brief Answer: Further tests will exclude pancreas problems... Detailed Answer: Hi, Before running into conclusions, I kindly ask for how long have you been using Cilest (before the 4 months of having the problems or after)? If the problems showed off after starting Cilest, then, I suggest to stop using this medicine for few weeks and see if improvement. Please bare in mind that the contraceptive you use consists of hormones which might affect the smooth muscles of the intestinal tract, giving GI problems. Some women might not tolerate a specific contraceptive, so, you can discuss with your doctor to try another form. To exclude pancreas, gallbladder and other problems related to the internal organs, I still insist to run the tests as mentioned earlier. Only these tests will definitely determine if you have pancreatic issues or not. Thank you! Dr.Klerida

Follow-up: Treatment for abdominal pain, stomach pain, back pain, abnormal stools? 15 minutes later
Thank you. I cant remember how long ive been on cilest, i think i started a year ago. I had an ultrasound which showed organs mostly fine however it did not show the tail of pancreas or spleen due to bowel gases, because of the discomfort in my left side i was concerned mostly about the tail. LFT and FBC tests were ok, have not done stool or urine sample. Are there any warning signs i should be aware of? My fear is cancer of the pancreas, in the tail area.

Answered by Dr. Klerida Shehu 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Following answer to your queries.... Detailed Answer: Hi again, Thank you for following up. If you had the ultrasound more than 1 month ago, then, I suggest to repeat it as soon as possible. The next time you go for an ultrasound please (if you are scheduled to do the ultrasound in the morning), then : - have your dinner at 7 pm - take eucarbon to get relief of gas (3X2 tb) Although it was difficult to interpret your internal organs due to gas, the doctor who did the ultrasound could have been suspected of any tumoral mass at least and could have advised to go for other tests. If no such recommendations were referred, then, there is no fear of any pancreatic tumor, including cancer. However, you should do the tests as suggested earlier to be sure. With regards to the pain, usually the pain from the pancreas problems is very intense and intolerable; with regards to your pain, it seems to be more related to the GERD. However, tests will determine the origin of your pain. Hope it was of help! Dr.Klerida

Follow-up: Treatment for abdominal pain, stomach pain, back pain, abnormal stools? 31 minutes later
Thank you thats helpful and reassuring! Could you give any idea what might be causing a feeling of fullness on the left of my abdomen? Particularly under my ribs it feels swollen and uncomfortable but not painful just the odd sharp pain under my ribs and ache in my back as mentioned before, the fullness is all around from under my ribs, side and a bit around the left upper part of my back. I did wonder about crohns disease but had a negative inflammation marker? I get a lot of pain centrally but could GERD cause this even if i'm on omeprazole? Sorry for the questions i'm just trying to understand whats wrong!

Answered by Dr. Klerida Shehu 30 hours later
Brief Answer: GERD and IBS causes fullness and pain Detailed Answer: Hi back, Thank you for following up. Yes, GERD is associated with feeling of fullness and pain. You should have patience as it will take time to see improvement. IBS too is associated with fullness and pain. As long as the tests resulted negative for Crohn's, then, no need to worry. I would also suggest to keep following a healthy diet and keep physically active to reduce the symptoms. All the best! Dr.Klerida