Treatment for Morphea done, have intense scarring, itching on breasts. How can this growth stop?

I was diagnosed with Morphea in 2006. When i visited a dermatologist, he prescribed some steroids and vitamin tablets and the growth stopped. But I have intense scarring now in those areas. (Under by left breast, the left side of my stomach and the left side of my back. the skin became thinner as well)
A year ago, the right side of my breast started itching and now it looks like to me its morphia over there as well!!! I'm 17 weeks pregnant now and I do not know what to do! ?How can this growth stop? And why does it keep re-occurring? T
he whole midsection of my body is scarred because if this!
Can the scares be removed or might lighter in any way?
Posted Sun, 9 Jun 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 58 minutes later
Morphea is an autoimmune disorder characterised by a red purple or skin colored raised hard plaque that eventually burns out and heals with scarring. Unfortunately it can not be cured but can be brought into remission. If treated earlier, the progression can be stopped and scarring can be prevented to some extent. Once the scarring has set in, it is difficult to treat. Once you have delivered, you might talk to your dermatologist regarding dermaroller or micro needling sessions along with peels as these help in treating pigmented atrophic scars and hence might help in healed morphea lesions too.

The treatment for morphea is steroids, tacrolimus, calcipotriol cream, imiquimod or oral intake of steroids, methotrexate etc. Phototherapy with UVA and narrowband UVB are other options. Fractional ablative lasers like erbium YAG is also said to treat this scarring disorder effectively.
In pregnancy only steroids and narrow band UVB are somewhat safe. Personally in my clinical practice I would have just prescribed topical steroids and emollients with vitamin E in a single lesion of morphea in a pregnant female if at all treatment was sought or if the lesion was progressive. But I would recommend that you first XXXXXXX a dermatologist to confirm the diagnosis and so that appropriate treatment can be offered if required. Also keep your obstetrician in loop regarding the diagnosis and treatment offered.

Pregnancy is one of the precipitating factors for morphea and hence you might have developed a recurrence.

Hope that answered your query.