Treatment done for thrush, TVS normal. Guidance on fertility issues?

Hi ,

Pelvic examination and vaginal swabs done

Got diagnosed with Thrush after medical abortion but the Doctor gave me a course of antibiotics to rule out every possibility of infection . Just to note that I never had fever severe pains and vaginal bleeding . Only I was experiencing soreness around my vagina and sharp pinching like pains on and off .. so I guess it was thrush .. no vaginal discharge .

Now getting treatment for thrush Clotrimazole . Used the pessary last week . Most of the symptoms have gone away but very mild sensation can be felt around my vagina .

Also My TVS was fine one month agon and showed no signs of infections

Can you please guide on any fertility issues it can cause or any other possibilities as I want to conceive asap
Posted Sun, 9 Jun 2013 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Answered by Dr. Shanti Vennam 26 minutes later

It is good that you have initiated early treatment for vaginosis. Vaginal Thrush as such does not cause any infertility. Untreated infection can lead to discomfort during intercourse and can also infect the partner. Symptoms usually subside within a week after initiating specific therapy, but, the course should be continued to relieve of all the infection.

Recurrence of the infection is a common feature but can be avoided if precautions are taken to avoid wearing tight undergarments, avoid using scented soaps, shower gels etc., which can alter the acid balance of the vagina. Associated bacterial vaginosis can change the acidity of the vagina and can lead to difficulty in conception by making the ascent of the sperms difficult in an unhealthy environment.

So, please have a regular follow up and follow the instructions of your consultant. This done, there should be no issues with conception in future.

Hope I have answered your query. Please feel free to contact if you need further clarifications. I will be happy to help.

Follow-up: Treatment done for thrush, TVS normal. Guidance on fertility issues? 7 minutes later
Clomitrazole did relieve harsh symptoms but they are still there. What i feel is burning kind of pain in my pelvic area and lower back on and off. Was diagnosed with yeast infection

Can i take flucanzole just to be sure . How long does it take to cure thrush .

I never had fever , severe abdominsl pain n vaginal discharge . Does that mean i never got infection .pls help .i am so worried .

Answered by Dr. Shanti Vennam 14 minutes later

Thanks for writing back.

The usual symptoms of vaginal thrush are itching and some discharge sometimes associated with burning sensation of the vulva and vagina. You need not have fever or abdominal pain. Clotrimazole needs to be used for one week at least to relieve the symptoms. Flucanozole is a single dose application, but, if you have been diagnosed with thrush for the first time, please take the advice of your consultant before proceeding for any sort of treatment. You need not worry as the condition is treatable very well and does not recur if you take proper precautions. Please avoid intercourse during the course of the treatment as healing may be delayed.

Hope your query is clarified. Please get back if you need further clarifications. I will be ready to help.

Hi .. Thanks for your answer . Prior to all this i had medical abortion but during the expelling. I never had severe abdominal pains , vaginal discharge or . Does that mean i never had infection after abortion
Answered by Dr. Shanti Vennam 7 minutes later

Thanks for writing again.

Abdominal pain and vaginal discharge during the process of expulsion indicate the natural process of abortion. Infection, if any, is signaled by persistence of pain coupled with foul-smelling discharge and fever. As you did not experience any such symptoms and moreover, as your sonogram has been reported to be normal, you can rest assured that your abortion process was healthy throughout without any infection.

The reason that you developed the thrush is most likely secondary to pregnancy and altered vaginal pH states and also the lowered immunity that is present in pregnancy. As you take treatment you should get complete relief without any further inconveniences.

Hope all your queries are answered. If there are no further queries, you may close this discussion.

Wish you good health.