Treated with steroid injections for chronic sinus infections. Noticed sunken eye. Is this from sinus infection?

ENT Specialist
I have suffered from chronic sinus infections this year that have been treated with steroid injections, medrol dose packs, Allegra-D, and antiobiotics(several different ones) My eyes have sunken back in my head so bad that I don't look like the same person. Is this from the Sinus infections? What can I do? I am a very healthy 40 yr. old female, don't smoke, don't drink, eat very healthy.
Posted Tue, 13 Nov 2012 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 8 hours later

Thank you for your query.

1. The sinuses may harbor silent infection. Fungal infections may exist only within the sinuses (as against invasive fungal infections) and yet cause allergic reactions. This constitutes Allergic Fungal Rhino Sinusitis (AFRS). Another distinct entity is Eosinophilic Mucin Rhinosinusitis (EMRS). Such fungal infections may be missed out on CT Scans and requires MRI Scans to detect. "Biofilm' formation in the sinuses is also an important possibility. You may discuss this with your physicians.

2. Get a nasal endoscopy done. If nay scans have been done in the past, you may share any CT PNS (Para Nasal Sinus) images (not just the report) here.

3. Regarding the sunken eyes, I would like to assess CT images to rule out a Silent Sinus Syndrome which is a slow collapse of block maxillary sinuses leading to enopthalmos.

4. Another important cause for sunken eyes which has to be ruled out is Horner's syndrome. This has multiple causes. Have you consulted an Eye Specialist?

5. Dark Circles around the eyes ('Allergic Shiners') due to chronic allergy may also make the eyes appear sunken.

I hope that I have answered your queries. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.