Treated with radiation for breast cancer. Does this radiation harm to others?

Radiation Concerns. If a family member is being treated with radiation for breast cancer can my 2 year old be around her and can I if pregnant? We went with her for the first treatment but stood in hall of radiation center, didn't even enter the reception area, could my daughter have been harmed? If she is staying with us and my daughter lays next to her is it safe while she is at home? Also, went to a restaurant with a tanning salon next store, could the radiation from the booths penetrated into the restaurant if they shared a this safe to eat there? And lastly we have a basking reptile spotlight 50watts that uses UVA rays, it is in our kitchen. When my daughter is in the kitchen and the light is on, should I be concerned with radiation from any light reflecting out of the tank and into the room? Sorry I am just concerned. Thank you.
Posted Thu, 22 Nov 2012 in Cancer
Answered by Dr. Anil Thakwani 2 days later

I appreciate your concerns. As far as Radiation for cancer treatment, which has mostly, gamma rays are concerned they are obviously harmful for any human if they are exposed directly.

Walls of room where radiation is being given are thick enough for any leakage radiation; still we recommend pregnant women and children to be away from the radiation source.

Once somebody is treated for cancer then he /she is not harmful for others when he is out of the treatment room.

UV rays from that source are not harmful for you.

Hope your doubts has been cleared. Do let me know if you have more concerns.