Treated with monocef for typhoid. Having low grade fever. Is it normal to have typhoid for so long period?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Nov 2013
Nov 2013

Neurologist
Question
Hello Doctor,
I XXXXXXX (42/f) was hospitalized on 1st March 2012 due to high grade fever and the doctors treated me for typhoid with monocef for 10 days but its been 7 months now and still I am having low grade fever(99-100) usually in the evening.Also the widal test is positive upto 1:160 on 15th september. Is it normal to have typhoid for so long period or is there something else?
Posted Sun, 21 Oct 2012 in Infections

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 22 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX,
Thank you for contacting Healthcare magic.
I have noted your details. It is not common for typhoid to go on for such a long time. It can go on for 6-8 weeks on rare occasions.
In your case, the cause could be something unrelated to typhoid.
Widal test can remain positive for long. Secondly, it can also be false positive in other inflammatory conditions.
As of now, please record your temperature over one week period. If temperature remains below 100 and there are no other symptoms, there is no need to worry.
However, if temperature goes above 100, then you require investigations to ascertain the cause of fever. The tests may include tests for collagen vascular disease, tuberculosis, endocarditis (infection of the heart valves, etc).
For further evaluation, you could consult a good MD Medicine doctor.
I hope it clarifies. Please get back if you require any other information.
Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD (Medicine), DM (Neurology)

Follow-up: Treated with monocef for typhoid. Having low grade fever. Is it normal to have typhoid for so long period? 59 minutes later
Thank you Dr. XXXXXXX XXXXXXX for your reply. I have uploaded some of the reports of the test that my physician had asked. Now the physician has advised me to start up a course of akt-4 kit . Should i go for it or else go for another test(s)? if yes suggest any?

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 1 hour later
Thank you for getting back with more details.
I have gone through your reports and I think your doctor has done all the required tests. There is no need to do any more tests at this stage.
AKT4 kit is for treating tuberculosis (TB) and I think you should continue the treatment as per your physician's advice.
Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM