Treated with antibiotics for bacterial infection in belly. Had vomiting, diarrhea, nausea. Why do I get warm?

General Surgeon
Dear Sirs, in January I have been treated with massive amounts of antibiotics (a.o. Metronidazol) because of a bacterial infection in my belly from unknown cause. From the very beginning I have been vomiting and I have had diarrhea up to 15 times a day but the doctors wanted me to go on with the same antibiotic for 8 days. I could not drink or eat anymore. One of the worst side effects were sweating spells and nausea. When I came home from the hospital the diarrhea continued for 4 weeks; now it is solved. But my stomach is still terribly upset, it is like I have a fire in it. I have been using different kinds of antacids and sucralfaat for 6 or 7 weeks now with no results. I have hungerpain, a bad taste in my mouth and still sweating spells. Many times a day I get very warm from my toes to the root of my hair and it scares me. What does it mean? What can I do to heal my stomach? Thanks in advance, Stella
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Swapnendu Sekhar Ghosh 1 hour later

Metronidazole is tolerated well among many individuals. However a few do have symptoms of nausea, bad taste in the mouth and gastritis with it. Based on what you describe you seem to having gastritis which may have resulted due to drugs and the severe vomiting you had.

I am sorry you have to go suffer these symptoms. The following measures might help you;

1. Take small frequent feeds and avoid spicy and hot foods.
2. Proton pump inhibitors like pantoprazole along with anti emetic like domperidone are useful in this condition. You may get both these medication prescribed by your physician. Proton pump inhibitors drugs for 2-3 weeks will be helpful.
3. Severe gastritis may need investigations like an endoscopy. You can consult a gastroenterologist if these drugs do not relieve your symptoms too.

With these measures, we should be able to treat your symptoms and bring back your quality of life.

I hope you will be alright soon. Let me know if you have any more concerns.