Treated warts with raw garlic. Skin is burned and blistered. Should I see a doctor?

Ophthalmologist
Question
I treated two warts (one on my hand and the other on the arm) with raw garlic. I didn't know that raw garlic could burn the skin. I applied the garlic under a bandaid and tried to keep it on the wart but the garlic affected the surrounding skin. The skin is not irritated (apparently burned) and itching with some redness. In fact, the area on the arm has blistered.
I have decided to treat the areas with Triamcinolone Acetonide Cream USP, 0.1% and Betamethasone Dipropionate USP, 0.05% not knowing which might work best (or if they'd work at all). I've used them for eczema.
Should I see a doctor in regards to my garlic burns or simply treat the burns?
Posted Wed, 20 Nov 2013 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Dadapeer K 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
I advice you to see doctor.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to Health Care Magic
Iam Dr. Dadapeer, an Ophthalmologist with specialization in oculoplasty.

Being an ophthalmologist I have come across two patients who applied garlic paste over face one for relief from pain and one for removal of wart over face.

Garlic is a common spice agent used for food and it is also a herbal remedy used for various diseases. But overuse of it may lead to few complications. It is known to cause skin burns when applied to skin. The treatment for it depends on the depth of the burns.
From the photo which you have sent one burn is appearing superficial and may not require treatment. The one with blister is looking like grade 2 burns which may require treatment.
The first thing to be done is to wash the area to remove the garlic paste. You are using steroid ointments in the form of Triamcinolone and Betamethasone, I feel it is better to stop both as they may increase the risk of secondary infection.

I advice you to consult dermatologist for treatment of the one with blister as it is grade 2 burn.

Hope I have answered your query.

Thank you

Follow-up: Treated warts with raw garlic. Skin is burned and blistered. Should I see a doctor? 3 hours later
Thank you for the advice. Question:
Being that it is Sunday, seeing a doctor is not likely for another 24 hours in my case. What, over-the-counter, medication would you suggest to treat the one that may have 2nd degree burn? It is itching, and I would like to stop that. Also, is there something I can rub on to treat possible infection? I have triple antibiotic ointment: bacitracin, neomycin sulfate, and polymyxin B sulfate.

Answered by Dr. Dadapeer K 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
You can start using antibiotic ointment.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to Health Care Magic

Thank you for the follow up query.
The treatment of second degree burn is by using antibiotic ointments. You can use the triple antibiotic ointment for applying over the skin burn. Along with this you can take oral analgesic drug to get relief from pain.
If the skin burn wont resolve then you can take consultation from dermatologist later.

Hope I have answered your query.

Thank you

Follow-up: Treated warts with raw garlic. Skin is burned and blistered. Should I see a doctor? 4 hours later
Thanks again. I will begin using the ointment in the morning. In the meantime, I have been applying pure honey and it seems to be alleviating the itching and pain that had increased earlier today. What is your opinion on using pure honey on the site?
Also, I noticed fluid (slightly colored) coming from the open blister site. I am covering the sore with a layer of honey and gauze. Additionally, I have applied a bit of aloe vera gel (used to treat burns). The honey seems to be more effective. Perhaps aloe vera directly from the plant would be more effective than the gel. In any event, I will apply the triple antibiotic in the morning and see a doctor if there is no improvement.

Answered by Dr. Dadapeer K 59 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Both honey and aloevera are good for skin burns.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to Health Care Magic

Thank you for the follow up query.

Honey is a well known household remedy to treat skin burns and skin ulcers. This is proven medically also that honey reduces inflammation, edema and provides moist environment which helps in wound healing.

Even the efficacy of aloevera gel in treating the burns of skin is proved and it promotes epithelization and helps in early healing of the wound.

You can continue either honey or aloevera along with antibiotic ointment.

Hope I have answered your query.

Thank you