Treated for transient ischemic attack. Taking epition. Is it safe to increase the dose of vinlep?

Nov 2013

I had TIA on 1st April 12 at 10.00 p.m. I recovered fully withen 1/2an hr but still was rushed to Dr.who advices for C.T BP,Sugar along with ECG was checked & found ok.CTscan was also found ok.i was advices to come next day morning for MRI to decide medication.I got major brain attack at 1.30 a.m.& was rushed to same Dr who imm decided for me to be rushed to Apollo Hos. Delhi where TPA injection was administered with 4hrs.i was relieved from hos. After 20 days & Epition 100 was included in my medication ,3doses /day.inspite of all medication I was getting minor occurrences either due to over physio,over bowl pr,over stress,over anger,& so & so.on 5th XXXXXXX 13 on the advice of 2nd opinion,Vinlep 150 has been added I.p.o Epition 100. I am feeling the change towards marked improvement.dose of Vinlep is 150 morning & 300 in the night.
My question is that is it worth increasing dose to 300 & 300 ,morning evening or even higher if not respond imm .i will be highly obliged.i am flying to CA on 23rd stay with my daughter & Both Drs have given go ahead permission.
Posted Sun, 3 Mar 2013 in Stroke
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 51 minutes later

Thank you for posting your query.

I am pleased to note the excellent treatment received by you at Delhi for your stroke, including thrombolysis with tPA.

Regarding the dose of Vinlep (oxcarbazepine), I would agree with you that the dose may be increased to 300 mg twice daily. Other medications can be continued in the current dosage.

Hope it clarifies. Please get back if you have any more queries.

Wishing you good health,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist
Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad
Follow-up: Treated for transient ischemic attack. Taking epition. Is it safe to increase the dose of vinlep? 14 hours later
I have started the dosage as advised by u.thnx a u recommend any food restrictions or recommendations.i don't have any BP,sugar or cholastaro,problem except short temper which is kept controlled under forced conditions.recommendations for physio exersices,etc,etc.i am flying on 23rd Fab to CA ,USA.what precaution do u suggest during respond ASAP.
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 2 hours later
Thank you for getting back.

Good to note that you have started the new dosage.

No specific food precautions, except to take a low fat diet.

Regular walking (20-30 minutes per day) and stretching exercises are fine.

During a long flight, keep moving for a few minutes every hour, and also exercise your legs while sitting.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)