Treated for threadworm. Noticed specks in stool. Does this mean that I am still having it?

Hello, 4 weeks ago my daughter and I both had threadworm. We treated the family except for my newborn and retreated 2 weeks later. I have increased fibre and pribiotics in diet, but this morning I noticed white specks in my stool. Could this mean I still have them or is it a case of it being due to eating more seeds? I am really paranoid and have anxiety about them still being there. Thank you for your time.
Posted Sat, 1 Sep 2012 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 3 hours later

Thanks for the query

I would like to know a few more things in order to come to a better conclusion

1. Did you notice as worms in your stool or were they only white seed like structures?
2. Do you eat salads? Are they washed properly? The same goes with XXXXXXX leafy vegetables, are they properly washed?
3. The meat you are eating, is it from a trusted butcher? Comes in packaging?
4. What treatment did you receive for the worms? How many days did you take them?
5. Any pain while passing stool? Did you anytime notice blood?

Please get back to me, I am awaiting your reply

Follow-up: Treated for threadworm. Noticed specks in stool. Does this mean that I am still having it? 6 hours later
Thank you for your reply, sorry I didn't give an overly detailed description previously.

I am not sure if they were worms, they were small around 2mm in size but I didn't get a good enough look to see if they were long or circular. I think I just really freaked out about it and panicked.

We thoroughly wash all fruit and vegetables, the meat we buy is either from a reputable butcher or the supermarket and packaged.

We took Combantrin-1 which is Mebendzalone (I think that is how you spell it) and took a second dose 2 weeks after the initial dose.

I didn't have any significant pain when having the bowel movement, although I do have a haemerroid/ anal fissure problem since the birth of my baby which at times causes some bleeding and itching so with that it triggers my anxiety further as I don't know if it is worms or the other issues.

This is seriously a ridiculous thing for me to be so worried about I know, and my anxiety is irrational but I am so worried that either I have not gotten rid of them or that my house isn't clean enough and they may re-infect us or my baby even though I have been meticulous with hand washing and cleaning. This is really causing issues with my mental health, I have Post natal depression which I was managing okay until this and am now just frustrated and overwhelmed by it all.

Any advice you can give would be greatly appreciated.

Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 2 hours later

Thanks for the detailed reply

I understand how tough post natal period can be.

You have been adequately treated for the worms and there it is least likely that any of them are still alive including the larvae form.
What you saw must be either seeds or degraded food products. Since you are washing your veggies and the meat is from a reputed source you don't have to worry about that either

I hope I have answered your query, if you have any further ones I will be happy to get back

Follow-up: Treated for threadworm. Noticed specks in stool. Does this mean that I am still having it? 1 hour later
Thank you for your sensitivity and understanding and for not making me feel like an idiot. I really feel much more at ease now. Hopefully I can get my anxiety levels back down so I can get backing to living life a bit more relaxed again. You really have helped. Aside from handwashing, are there any other preventative measures I can take so we don't get them again? Any foods/ supplements we should consume? Thank you again.
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 26 minutes later

I am happy I was of help

There is no extra precaution you could take. What you have been doing is more than adequate.

1. Avoid eating in places which don't have good hygienic standards
2. Wash vegetables, especially XXXXXXX leafy vegetables with warm water
3. Do not consume under cooked meat
4. Wash hands especially the underside of the nails.

I wish you and your family good health