Treated for swollen foot. Have high uric acid, low serum calcium. Having diarrhea, back pain after medication

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
I had a treatment done on a swollen left foot
It was found out that I have high uric acid and low serum calcium
So, the doctor gave me few painkillers and tablets for uric acid, an antacid and also a vitamin D tablet

Now, after two days of the medicine, I felt that my digestion is not up to XXXXXXX I had loose motion after one day, and at present I am burpping a lot and I have pain in lower back right side. It is kind of an oscillating pain.

Also, the left foot is now not that swollen and the pain is much lesser too (almost nil)
Posted Mon, 8 Apr 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 1 hour later
Hi and welcome to XXXXXXX

It seems you had acute attack of gout. After taking antiinflammatory drugs and uric acid lowering drug , your acute episode subsided so that your swelling subsided and pain decreases.

Sometime digestion affected by taking these drugs, but do not worry, eat a diet XXXXXXX in complex carbohydrates, fresh fruits and green leafy vegetables, pulses and cereals. Drink plenty of water daily.

Pain in lower back right side seems to be mechenical in origin.It implies the source of pain is in the spine and/or its supporting structure. The surrounding muscles and ligaments may develop reactive spasm and pain.
I advice you to-
* Lie on hard bed
* Hot water fomentation to back 2-3 times a day and applying a local analgesic gel on the affected area will also help in providing a relief.
* Avoid driving, leaning forward, sitting for prolonged time or lifting heavy weights. These activities can increase your back pain.
You can start with swimming and mild aerobic exercises. These do help a lot in the back pain. Do adequate warming up before starting the exercises daily.

Hope this will help you. Please do write back if you have any additional concerns.

Wishing you good health...
Dr Saurabh Gupta.
Orthopaedic Surgeon.