Treated for sinus infection. Noticed swollen area in ear causing pain in jaw and headache. Remedy?

ENT Specialist
My husband has large swollen area in ear causing pain in jaw and severe headache. He's lethargic today
and should he go to urgent care? He's 37going and recently was treated for sinus infection and bronchitis.
Posted Fri, 8 Mar 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. A.K. Srivastava 1 hour later

I have gone through your query regarding large swollen area near ear, causing severe pain in jaw movement. Your husband is getting treatment for sinus infection.

Based on these above symptoms, it is most likely that he has a maxillary sinus disease. Because sinus disease can cause this painful swelling. The possible explanations are:
(1) Sinus infection may give rise to enlargement of lymph nodes.
(2) Sinus has disease which eroded the sinus wall and appear as a painful lump near ear.
(3) Acute Parotid lump.

He needs evaluation to confirm the diagnosis. Since he is in pain and is lethargic, I suggest you to visit ER or free clinic at the earliest. The following investigation procedures are in order:
(1) M.R.I. of paranasal sinuses.
(2) F.N.A.C. from lump.

Hope this answers your query. I will be pleased to clarify any of your doubts.

With Regards.