Treated for rheumatoid arthritis. Having pain and swelling in ankles and legs. Should I take benadryl?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I have had three IV treatments of Orencia for Rheumatoid . #1- nothing happened, no improvement, no worsening. #2 _ I had severe pain of the body that lasted a week or more. #3 - I had it Monday February 18. I had pain most of the night. Yesterday the pain intensified and I have painful swelling in my ankles and legs, more on the left side than the right side. Today, I am in extreme pain on my entire left side. I can't turn my head. I have tingling in my hands and feet and left arm. Should I take Benadryl if I can swallow it?
Thank you Kindly,XXXXXXX
Posted Tue, 19 Mar 2013 in Arthritis
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
Orencia is a biological treatment to reduce the joint pain associated with arthritis.
The painful swelling in the ankles can be an allergic reaction or the body's immune response.
You can take Benadryl to decrease the signs of allergy if you can swallow it. In case the swelling increases further then it is best to consult your rheumatologist for examination and specific treatment.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.