Ask a Urologist   »  

Treated for proctitis. Test showed occult blood in urine. Is there any problem?

Sep 2012

my lab results showed a trace amount of occult blood in my urine,I am a 57 yr old male that has been treated for prodtistis and blood in my seman last yr.All test showed no problems,including scope test of bladder
Posted Fri, 28 Dec 2012 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 38 minutes later
Thank you for posting a query.

Firstly, occult blood means detection of presence of blood by chemical or microscopical examination in a grossly normal appearing urine.

As, all other tests are normal, I assume that all other findings of urine are also within normal limit. Other findings of urine like RBCs, pus cells, casts, all plays an important role in diagnosis, if the condition is related to urinary tract.

The result mainly indicates presence of blood detected by chemical methods. Because, if there is any gross bleeding, Red blood cells must be found in microscopical findings.

Now, the tests which detects presence of blood in urine, also detects myoglobins. Because both the hemoglobin and myoglobin have peroxidase activity. Myoglobins are present when there is any type of injury to muscle.

To differentiate these conditions ammonium sulfate solubility test should be done. Creatinine kinase is increased in myoglobinuria.

Lastly, as you have told that all other tests are normal, then you can consult with your treating doctor about the abovementioned condition. Here a clinicopathological correlation is very important.

Hope this information suffices. Let me know, if you have any more question.

Follow-up: Treated for proctitis. Test showed occult blood in urine. Is there any problem? 1 hour later
All other urine test were in the normal range,I was concerned about the blood in the urine because my father died of bladder cancer in 1994.When I had the blood in the seman last year I had a ct adom.scan and a sope test of the bladder and that all came back normal. I do seem to have to urinate more than I did before,I did start taking daily cealis about 3 months ago.
Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 2 hours later
Thank you for writing back.

Look, from your history, it is evident that you are a high risk person. As all other test reports are within normal limit, you need not to worry right now.

As I have told previously, if there is an lesion in bladder or other part of urinary tract, then in urine examination, epithelial cells, malignant cells, most importantly red blood cells must be seen. Absence of these indicates absence of any lesion.

But, keep following up every 6 months with your treating doctor. Repeat the urine test that time.