Treated for pilonidal cyst. Taking antibiotic and pain medicine. How to stop the discharge?

I have a pilonidal cyst that I just found out about yesterday, though it has been treated twice. I am currently on a 10 day antibiotic and pain meds. Question is, it discharged today on its own, is that a bad thing and what do I do to ensure it heals properly without oozing?
Posted Wed, 20 Mar 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 27 minutes later
Hi and thanks for using health care magic,
It s not that bad that it discharged on its own. An examination by a physician is important to see the intensity and determine the extent of an extra incision. Recurrence is usually due to the fact that the incision, drainage and treatment of the cyst is not enough or is not done appropriately.
I suggest you visit your general surgeon who has expertize for a proper incision and drainage of this Pilonidal cysts. The most important aspect in the management is appropriate and adequate incision, drainage and post incisional care. Antibiotics are important but not most important.
I therefore suggest you visit your primary care physician or general surgeon.
Best regards,
Luchuo, MD.
Follow-up: Treated for pilonidal cyst. Taking antibiotic and pain medicine. How to stop the discharge? 14 minutes later
Is this something that I should take care of immediately, as in tonight, or is this something that I can wait to discuss with my family doctor tomorrow? I have access to a 24/7 doctor.
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 4 minutes later
Hi and thanks,
I suggest you take your antibiotics and analgesics if any pain, just clean around the discharge area. Its ok for you to XXXXXXX your doctor tomorrow.
Thanks and best regards,
Luchuo, MD.