Treated for meningitis. Suffering with ulcer on leg. Safe to use placentrex gel?

my kid was 10 yrs old. suffered with MENINGITIS. WHILE TREATING MENINGITIS Drs used VANCOMYSCIN INJ. They fixed cannula on right foot. Kid got cured from MENINGITIS but now suffering with ulcer on his leg where IV CANNULA was fixed. we are dressing since 30 days but not healing..can we try PLACENTRIX ZEL...USED T-BACT ointment.
Posted Tue, 8 Jan 2013 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Anil Grover 3 hours later
Thanks for writing in.
I am a qualified and certified cardiologist and I read your mail with diligence.
If the canula was misplaced or had counter punctured the vein, your kid would have faced lots of problems while he was having meningitis. The drug vancomycin can cause inflammation of superficial veins and otherwise also in some venous drainage is scanty in foot. Therefore, result is ulceration. But so long as it is not infected and bone underneath is involved, it will heal (please request the attending doctors to exclude associated Diabetes). Personally, I see no harm in using the ointment you are suggesting but it should be with the agreement of the treating doctor so that same contents are not unnecessary duplicated or these have interaction with the treating doctor is using. Personally, I feel it will heal alright even if it takes longer time. At the same time I can understand your worry.
I hope that answers your questions. Good luck.
If you have any more query I will be most happy to answer it.
Dr Anil Grover,
Cardiologist & Internist
M.B.;B.S, M.D. (Internal Medicine) D.M(Cardiology)
http://www/ WWW.WWWW.WW
Follow-up: Treated for meningitis. Suffering with ulcer on leg. Safe to use placentrex gel? 8 hours later
Sir thanks fr u r quick suggestion. I have taken opinion from pediatric surgeon and a plastic surgeon and the dr who had treated MENINGITIS. Same thing what they r suggesting is it may take long time to heal the ulcer... they r suggesting for skin graft.. my query to u is.. before going to SKIN GRAFT shall i try with PLACENTRIX... ALL these days we are trying T-BACT OINT nd dressing with betadin lotion. i have gone trough few clinical studies placentrix has done well in treating non-healing ulcers. nd 2nd query is can i send my kid to school with daily dressing nd tying crape bandage.. or shall i give him complete rest by ensuring elevated support for his wounded leg...nd with a good protein dite

Answered by Dr. Anil Grover 16 minutes later

Skin ulcer on the back of foot heal very slowly. You are doing all what is right in the situation. No harm can occur by your using placentrix additionally but omitting antiseptic medications from dressing have the potential for infection to occur there.

For a ten year child couple of weeks or even two months away from school is no big deal. He will catch up in studies with your help when he is in normal health. Have faith in treating doctors and follow their advice about elevation of foot or not.

One last things children are very perceptive of stress in the faces of parents. That make them feel guilty. So, keep a cheerful mien when interacting in presence of your child. Will power do play a role in recovery so always reassure him, encourage him. Good Luck.

Dr Anil Grover
U have not given u r valuable advice regarding going for SKIN GRAFTING...
Answered by Dr. Anil Grover 13 minutes later
Thanks for writing back.
It would not be fair for me to judge the need for grafting without seeing the wound. I can assure you it is perfectly safe and commonly done procedure for much larger areas of skin. If the plastic surgeon thinks it is advisable, I see no reason to be scared of. As the person's own skin from other part is used there is no chance of rejection. If you want a second opinion, Hyderabad, I believe is the place nearest to you where you will find the specialist (with MCh degree in Plastic Surgery). Good Luck.

Best Wishes.

Dr Anil Grover