Treated for lymph node in neck and white sores in throat. Feeling throat pain and fatigue. Causing?

ENT Specialist
Hello Dr. Bhatti,
I've recently gotten over a particularly nasty virus/infection of some kind that involved swelling of the lymph nodes in my neck, extreme fatigue and white sores in my throat. After the worst of the symptoms cleared I went back to work, and have experienced minor throat pain and fatigue since then. For the past two days now the left side of my palate has been swollen and painful to the touch. I've read questions from others with the exact same symptoms. Is it possible I still have an infection? What is causing the swelling?

I have not been drinking alcohol, I do drink lots of water, and I haven't burnt my mouth on any hot liquids.
Posted Thu, 27 Dec 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 4 hours later

Thank you for your query.

1. This seems to be a post viral infection due to a secondary bacterial infection which usually take advantage of a weakened immune system while the body is busy fighting the initial viral infection.

2. Is the swelling and tenderness of the left side of your palate along the entire lenght or only on the hard (anterior, fixed, bony) or soft (posterior, mobile) part?

3. Other reasons for a one sided palatal swelling or tenderness are a left maxillary sinusitis, a dental problem or due to eating for the past few days only on one side due to more pain in the right side of the throat while swallowing.

4. You should get a doctor to examine and prescribe medication such as an anti-inflammatory and a medicated gargle / oral rinse. What medication did you take earlier? Do you have fever? Further antibiotics may be require. Sometimes this is a recurrent or residual viral infection.

I hope that I have answered your queries. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.