Treated for impacted cerumen and Ottis externa. On Ciprodex. Ear noticed with blood clot. What to do?

ENT Specialist
Question
I was recently treated for impacted cerumen and Ottis externa...the impacted cerumen was removed......I then put Ciprodex ear drops into my ear for 10 days....recheck of ear presented with blood clot on ear drum ...was told to put
Debrox Ear gtts Into ear canal for a week....return to have blood clot on ear drum removed more easily..is this a good idea
YYYY@YYYY
Posted Wed, 31 Jul 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 9 hours later

Thank you for your query.

1. The blood clot on the ear drum need not be removed unless you have discomfort. This scab will fall off on it's own and be extruded out of the ear canal in a few weeks.

2. Slight bleeding after impacted ear wax removal is common especially if there was an otitis externa. the ear canal skin s extremely delicate.

3. Ciprodex ear drops are fine, however Debrox is a wax dissolving ear drop. The only reason it may have been prescribed after a wax removal is if there is still some wax left near the ear drum.

4. Get a video-otoscopy done and check for yourself (on the monitor/screen) if the blood clot is wax or a scab. Disturbing a scab unnecessarily may cause further bleeding or introduce further infection.

I hope that I have answered your query. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.

Regards.

Follow-up: Treated for impacted cerumen and Ottis externa. On Ciprodex. Ear noticed with blood clot. What to do? 1 hour later
Thank you for your reply to my question..it has been very helpful and appreciated.
It reinforced my assessment and will help me in deciding where I will go from here.
Sincerely,
XXXXX

Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 14 hours later

Thank you for writing back.

This should be a minor problem. There is no cause for worry.

Wishing you a speedy recovery,

Regards.