Treated for hyperthyroidism and GERD. Feeling lightheaded, shoulder pain after having alcohol. Gastritis?

Gastroenterologist
Question
Over the last 10 years I am being treated for hyperthyroidism and GERD. My thyroid is currently under control.
What worries me is when I over indulge in alcohol or food the symptoms get worse after a day. These symptoms include light headedness, shortness of breath, pain in left shoulder and sometime a pain down left arm to my finger tips. I also experience pain behind the breast bone (sternum) which one doctor says is possibly costochondritis and pain on my right side lower abdomen. As I'm sure you can imagine these symptoms can be terrfifying when they occur, to the point where I can't sleep. I then get over tired and the symptoms seem to worsen. The other day I was extremely sick after a night on the beer / wine. Sick to the point where I was vomiting bile. I also experience a sever pain in my stomach like a sharp acute pain that is alleviated with Galvascon. My doctor tells me my symptoms are as a result of gastritis. Can this cause all of these symptoms? If so, why do they take up to a week to subside?
Posted Wed, 3 Apr 2013 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 3 hours later
I am Dr.Ratnakar Kini and I am pleased to answer your query.
Most of these symptoms can occur due to gastritis and GERD.
This could be due to the alcohol intake as alcohol can worsen GERD and also can cause gastritis. So quitting alcohol and taking medications like prilosec would be helpful.

An upper GI endoscopy may also be done for confirmation.

I hope that answers your question.
If you have no more questions, kindly rate this service.
Dr.Ratnakar Kini

Follow-up: Treated for hyperthyroidism and GERD. Feeling lightheaded, shoulder pain after having alcohol. Gastritis? 30 hours later
Thsnk you for reverting back. I have a follow up question. What is causing the ache in shoulder and left arm. It feels like there is and increased pressure with prickly feelings diwn to fingers. The pain and aches get worse when I stop drinking alcohol

Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 21 hours later
The ache in the shoulder, left arm and fingers could be due to pinched nerve due to cervical spondylosis. Xray of the cervical spine can be done for evaluation.

I hope that answers your question.
Dr.Ratnakar Kini