Treated for epilepsy. Had infection in brain. Sucked cysts in brain. Planning for second pregnancy. Taking Levipil. Suggest?

Nov 2013

hi i am XXXXX.I was treated for epilepsy 6 years back.I am 33 years old.Actually i had an infection in my brain after my delivery and had fits just after 45 days after my delivery.Doctors found a cysts in my brain and they just sucked it out but i was left with a scare in my brain.Doctors told me that it will be a permanent scare.i have a son 6 years old.Now i am planning for my second pregnancy.i am under medication with levipil 500 mg(twice a day).

My question is can i become pregant,will i have a healthy baby without any defects,are there chances for me to get seizures during pregnancy,can i take levipil during pregnancy if no,which medicine is safe to take during pregnancy.

i am really afraid to go for a 2nd parents adviced me that as i have a 6 year old son then why do u want to have another baby with soo much of risk?i am in a lot of answer my question.
Posted Sun, 29 Sep 2013 in Epilepsy
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 15 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You can go for second child.

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for posting your query.
You can safely go for second pregnancy and baby.
Levipil is safe in pregnancy and there is very little (less than 5%) chance of any birth defects in the baby.
Please continue the same dose of levipil as you are seizure free on this.
Also take folic acid tablets.
Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM Neurology XXXXXXX consultant neurologist
Apollo Hospital Hyderabad