Treated for ear infection. Taking antibiotic. Getting headache and nose bleed. Related to cold?

ENT Specialist
My son had nosebleeds at school in two occasions, during the same week. He is currently going through a cold. He has seen the doctor last Monday for an ear infection and the doctor flushed out some ear wax with a syringe, after which prescribed some antibiotic ear drops. He took the drops for 7 days. Can the nosebleed be due to the ear cleaning? Should I take him to see the doctor again? He doesn't complain of headaches or anything else. He just has a stuffy nose due to his cold. He never had a nosebleed before, he did not fall or get hurt. We don't have a nosebleed history in the family.
Posted Sat, 13 Apr 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 32 minutes later

Thank you for your query.

1. Nose bleeds are common in young children following a cold.

2. The nose bleed should be unrelated to ear syringing. As long as his ear drum is intact, ear drops cannot reach the nose through the Eustachian Tube.

3. If the nose bleeds are mild, there is no need to treat them. If they are recurrent, or he if there is blood in the throat, then a nasal examination is better and a quick check nasal endoscopy may be possible in cooperative 8 year old. A coagulogram may be done. A lateral skull X-ray will help visualize the Adenoids. The troublesome bleeding spot may be cauterized.

4. Saline nasal drops will help humidify the nose (prevent dryness). Cold medication usually cause further dryness.

5. In children, the face, bones are growing and blood vessels may be stretched and give way. Avoid picking scabs and check his finger nails.

I hope that I have answered your queries. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.

Follow-up: Treated for ear infection. Taking antibiotic. Getting headache and nose bleed. Related to cold? 15 hours later
Thank you doctor, this is reassuring!
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 21 minutes later

Thank you for writing back,

Wishing you and your family good XXXXXXX